Results for America helps state leaders accelerate their use of evidence and data when making budget, policy, and management decisions. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that when policymakers at the state level make decisions, they start by seeking the best evidence and data available, then use what they find to get better results.
We do this by developing standards of excellence which highlight the government infrastructure necessary to invest in what works; supporting policymakers through policy implementation; and mobilizing champions committed to investing in what works.
State Standard of Excellence
In July 2018, Results for America released the first-ever Invest in What Works State Standard of Excellence which serves as a “north star” for how state governments can consistently and effectively use data and evidence in budget, policy, and management decisions to achieve better outcomes for their residents.
- Results for America identified 88 leading and promising data-driven and evidence-based practices, policies, programs, and systems in effect in April 2018 in 30 states across the country.
- Five states are recognized as leading the way with their data-driven and evidence-based examples: Washington, Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, and Tennessee.
- We identified these examples across 15 criteria: Strategic Goals, Performance Management/Continuous Improvement, Data Leadership, Data Policies/Agreements, Data Use, Evaluation Leadership, Evaluation Policies, Evaluation Resources, Outcome Data, Evidence Definition and Program Inventory, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Use of Evidence Grant Programs, Innovation, Contracting for Outcomes, and Repurpose for Results.
The purpose of the 2018 Invest in What Works State Standard of Excellence is to inform policymakers and the public about state governments’ use of data, evidence, and evaluation to invest taxpayer dollars in what works. By identifying specific efforts currently underway in state governments, Results for America hopes to facilitate the broader adoption of evidence-based policymaking in state governments across the country.
State Policy Development and Implementation
Results for America’s State Education Fellows program, founded in December 2017, is helping 18 state education agency officials from 9 leading states implement the new evidence provisions in ESSA to improve education outcomes for all their students.
The fellowship is the first to bring together senior program and evaluation leaders from state education agencies into a single network focused on accelerating the generation and use of evidence. By supporting these innovative leaders who oversee states’ key education programs and evaluation efforts, Results for America is creating new champions in investing in what works and helping make evidence-based policymaking the new normal in education.
State Moneyball for Government All Stars
Since 2013, Results for America’s Moneyball for Government Campaign has recruited more than 200 local, state, federal, leaders as part of our Moneyball for Government campaign, including the following state leaders:
- Dannel Malloy, Governor, Connecticut
- Terry McAuliffe, Governor, Virginia
- Mitch Daniels, Former Governor, Indiana; Former Director, White House Office of Management and Budget, President George W. Bush
- Dr. Susan Bunting, Secretary of Education, Delaware Department of Education
- Dr. Steve Canavero, Superintendent of Public Instruction, State of Nevada Department of Education
- Paolo DeMaria, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Ohio Department of Education,
- Dr. Candice McQueen, Commissioner, Tennessee Department of Education
- Stephen Pruitt, Commissioner, Kentucky Department of Education
- Christopher Ruszkowski, Secretary of Education, New Mexico Department of Public Education
- Dr. Ken Wagner, Commissioner, Rhode Island Department of Education