Former Senior Fellow
Morgridge Fellow in Poverty Studies at the American Enterprise Institute and Former Commissioner of New York City's Human Resources Administration (Bloomberg Administration)
On January 18, 2019, Robert Doar was named the new President of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), and will succeed AEI President Arthur C. Brooks on July 1, 2019. He isthe Morgridge Fellow in Poverty Studies at AEI, where he studies and evaluates how improved federal policies and programs can reduce poverty and provide opportunities for vulnerable Americans. Specifically Doar focuses on the employment, health, education, and community participation of low income Americans and their children. Before joining AEI, Doar was commissioner of New York City’s Human Resources Administration where he administered 12 public assistance programs including welfare, food assistance, public health insurance, home care for the elderly and disabled, energy assistance, child support enforcement services, adult protective services and domestic violence assistance, as well as help for people living with HIV/AIDS. Prior to joining the Bloomberg administration, Doar was New York State commissioner of social services where he helped to make New York a model for the implementation of welfare reform.
Since joining AEI he has written for the Wall Street Journal, the National Review, and Real Clear Markets. Doar is a graduate of Princeton University.
The latest from Robert Doar:
“Unleashing the Power of Administrative Data: A Guide for Federal, State, and Local Policymakers,” Robert Doar & Linda Gibbs, October 19, 2017 – (printable version)
Invest in What Works Video Series – Profile Video, Results for America, Robert Doar, July 14, 2016 (video)
Washington Monthly 4-part series – New York City’s Turnaround on Poverty:
- (Part 4) “How to Lead a New National War on Poverty,” Washington Monthly, Robert Doar & Linda Gibbs, June 29, 2016 – (printable version)
- (Part 3) “How Failures Helped Lead to Success in New York’s War on Poverty,” Washington Monthly, Robert Doar & Linda Gibbs, June 27, 2016 – (printable version)
- (Part 2) “How an “Infrastructure for Innovation” Can Defeat Poverty,” Washington Monthly, Robert Doar & Linda Gibbs, June 22, 2016 – (printable version)
- (Part 1) “New York City’s Turnaround on Poverty,” Washington Monthly, Robert Doar & Linda Gibbs, June 19, 2016 – (printable version)
- View and print the full series here.