Through the Ed Lab, RFA will help state and local leaders implement the ground-breaking evidence provisions in the bipartisan Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which was enacted in December, 2015. ESSA could help shift more than $2 billion annually in federal education funds towards evidence-based, results-driven solutions in each of the next four years (FY17-FY20).
ESSA gives states, school districts, and schools more opportunities to design their own educational systems. At the same time, ESSA also requires, allows, and encourages the use of evidence-based approaches that can help improve student outcomes. Our Ed Lab helps education leaders build and use evidence to improve student outcomes in the following ways:
Results for America will support state education leaders in 12-16 states to incent and drive school districts and schools to build and use evidence to improve their lowest-performing schools. RFA’s Evidence in Education Lab will help state leaders use their new authority, flexibility, and resources under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to increase the amount and quality of evidence created and used by their school districts and schools and drive better outcomes for millions of students across the country.
All 50 States
As part of the Ed Lab, RFA will also conduct in-person and online briefings and develop numerous written materials designed to help all states and school districts use ESSA’s evidence provisions to help them solve their biggest challenges.
See our suite of resources that outline the potential and promise of ESSA’s evidence provisions to help state and local leaders improve K-12 education.
Tools & Resources
As part of the Ed Lab, RFA has developed a suite of online resources that outline the potential and promise of ESSA’s evidence provisions to help state and local leaders improve K-12 education.
Resources for States & School Districts
RFA has developed the following materials to help states and school districts better understand and successfully implement the ESSA evidence provisions:
- ESSA Evidence Fact Sheet: A brief 2-page description of the evidence provisions in ESSA.
- Evidence in ESSA Explainer: A brief visual graphic of the evidence provisions.
- ESSA Evidence Power Point: Everything you need to know about ESSA’s evidence provisions, including: a description of the opportunities in ESSA, a description of the evidence provisions, actions states and districts can take, and a review of school improvement requirements, all in an easy-to-read PowerPoint deck.
- ESSA Evidence Provisions: An exhaustive list of every evidence provision in ESSA, including the section in the law where it occurs.
- Evidence in Education Lab Overview: A brief 2-page description of the Evidence in Education Lab, as described above.
- ESSA Leverage Points: 64 Promising Practices from States for Using Evidence to Improve Student Outcomes
- Leverage Points: Thirteen Opportunities for State Education Agencies to Use Their ESSA State Evidence Plans to Build and Use Evidence to Improve Student Outcomes
- Webinar with AASA: “Leveraging ESSA’s Evidence Provisions to Help Every Student Succeed.” This webinar is designed for superintendents and school leaders to help them carry out the ESSA evidence provisions.
Invest in What Works Federal Policy Recommendations
Results for America and members of the Invest in What Works coalition have developed the following federal policy recommendations to ensure the most effective and efficient implementation of the ESSA evidence provisions:
- January 25, 2016 Invest in What Works Coalition Policy Recommendations to the U.S. Department of Education regarding suggested Title I regulations
- April 12, 2016: Invest in What Works Coalition Policy Recommendations to the U.S. Department of Education regarding suggested guidance on the evidence provisions in ESSA
- August 1, 2016: Invest in What Works Coalition Policy Recommendations to the U.S. Department of Education in response to its proposed regulations on ESSA accountability, school Improvement, and state plans
- August 22, 2016: Invest in What Works Coalition Policy Recommendations to the U.S. Department of Education in regards to developing guidance to support implementation of the Evidence Provisions of the Every Student Succeeds Act